About the Award
2019 CHAIN Award for Excellence Winners
The CHAIN Award for Excellence commends the infection prevention and antibiotic stewardship efforts of health care teams working hard to build a safer overall health care environment. Award winners were recognized on September 27, 2019, at the APIC Minnesota Conference. A virtual presentation to industry colleagues regarding the award winners’ essential contributions to patient safety and quality of care will be scheduled at a later date.
We encourage health care leaders and staff from across care settings to submit nominations by completing the brief online submission linked below. Nominations for the award will be accepted begining Summer 2020. CHAIN members will review all nominations for key lessons learned and innovative strategies that contribute to infection
prevention and antibiotic stewardship. Promising practices and findings will be shared through a variety of venues to promote learning and to improve health care across the state.
Links to the nominations from past award winners are provided below as an example. Also provided is the methodology that will be used to score nominations. Once scored, nominations from similar settings of care will be ranked to identify award winners. In 2019, CHAIN award winners were selected from both the hospital and long-term care setting; in keeping with CHAIN’s commitment across the health care continuum, future awards may incorporate additional settings of care.
We look forward to recognizing the outstanding accomplishments of health care teams in reducing infections and antibiotic resistance throughout Minnesota thank you in advance for your participation!
Submitting a Nomination
We encourage you to draft your nomination first and then copy and paste the narrative into the nomination form. 2019 nominations are closed.
You will be asked to provide the following:
- Nominator Contact Information:
- Nominee Team Name (Note: Provide the name here exactly as it should appear on any award or certificate presented)
- Nominee Organization
- Provide a brief narrative (600-word limit) of why you are nominating this team. Describe the specific infection prevention and/or the antibiotic stewardship efforts championed and how the nominee’s actions helped to prevent infections and/or combat antibiotic resistance, contributing to a safer health care environment. Please address in your nomination:
- The process used to identify opportunities for improvement
- Specific changes implemented, noting any innovative strategies
- How patients or residents and families were involved in and affected by the effort.
- How staff and leadership were involved in and affected by the effort.
- How the impact of the work has been demonstrated (consider both process and outcome measures)
Each of the above elements will be scored on a scale of 0-5 resulting in a total possible score of 25.
- Nominations must describe projects completed within two years of the submission deadline.
- Bonus points (0-2 points possible) are available for nominations which describe interventions or projects that either directly impacted or were designed to support infection prevention and/or antibiotic stewardship during transitions of care. This includes a broad range of transitions, from unit transfers within a facility to transfers across settings of care.
- You are strongly encouraged to attach a document to support your nomination. The attachment must be in PDF format and must be no longer than two pages. Consider providing things like graphs that display data to demonstrate impact, a marketing tool used for mass education, or a picture of your team at work. Please note, additional narrative will not be considered. Only one attachment is allowed per nomination.
Strong nominations describe the full project lifecycle and specific strategies tested through the intervention, highlight how multidisciplinary staff was engaged in the project, and provide both process and outcome measures demonstrating the tangible impact of their improvement work. See the nominations from 2016, 2017, and 2018 award winners.
For questions regarding the CHAIN Award for Excellence, contact Kristi Wergin, 952-853-8561.